A fruity new take on pie! This bright red cranberry filling is the perfect combination of tart and sweet. With the busy holiday season in mind, feel free to use a store-bought frozen pie crust so you can spend your time enjoying dessert instead of in the kitchen!
- 1 pie crust, store bought or homemade
- 12 ounces cranberries
- 1 cup grams sugar
- 1 stick butter (softened)
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- Preheat the oven to 350F and par-bake the pie crust according to the packaging or recipe until light brown.
- Combine the cranberries and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat and simmer until the cranberries have softened and released their juices. Transfer to a food mill or medium mesh sieve and press the cooking liquid into a bowl. Whisk the butter into the warm liquid.
- Add the whole eggs and egg yolks into a bowl and beat lightly. Slowly whisk a cup of warm cranberry liquid into the eggs to temper, then combine both and whisk together. Wipe out the pot if necessary, return liquid to pot and cook over low heat until nearly bubbling and thickened, about 10 minutes. If using immediately, let cool to room temperature. If working ahead, cool to room temperature, cover with plastic wrap (press wrap against curd) and refrigerate. (Curd may be cooked up to 1 day ahead.)
- Pour cooled cranberry curd into the cooled pre-baked tart shell and smooth top with a spatula. Bake for 10 minutes to set curd and then cool on a rack.
Buy Scott Family Estate Now!